Saturday, May 25, 2013

Race Review Round Up: Navigant Credit Union Running Festival, Boston Fund Run, and Tough Scrambler

It's been a while since I've reviewed any of the recent races I have completed. I have done three races since my last review. The three races are the Navigant Running Festival Half Marathon in Pawtucket, RI, Boston Fund Run/Walk 5k, and Tuff Scrambler 5k Obstacle Run. These are just quick little snapshots of what I thought of each of the races.

The Navigant Running Festival Half Marathon was on May 5th and started at 8 AM.  Needless to say, this start time was a bit rough. I saved a little time by going down the day before to pick up my bib number and race t-shirt.  Part of the pre-race ceremony was a moment of silence for the victims of the Boston Marathon Bombings.  There were also bracelets given out that said Rhode Island runs for Boston. 

Overall, I was a very nice race. It had some great scenery while running as the end portion took you through a part filled with cherry blossoms. The course itself had a few hills nothing too challenging compared to the Great Bay Half Marathon. I ended up setting a half marathon PR with a time of 1:56:25.  It was a pretty great feeling to do a sub 2 half.

Next up was the Boston Fund Run/Walk 5k was organized by a local race organizing company, Northeast Race Management, LLC.  The race itself was free. They asked that you make a donation to One Fund Boston. It was a great community event. I was really excited that I could participate and the best part was that it helped raise over $3,000 towards the cause.  

The participants for the Boston Fund Run

Lastly, I ran the Tuff Scrambler again. It was my second time as I ran it last October as well.  It was a different race as they added a few new obstacles to the course. the two most obvious additions was a new mud crawl, climbing stairs and under wooden walls. It was still as fun of a race as I ran in October and I got even muddier than last time. I still highly recommend this as a beginners obstacle race if you are in the area. It is a great introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment